The local government unit Grand Champions and their winning categories are:
1. Grand Winner for Best Tourism Event – Province of Isabela for Bambanti Festival for Festival Category. Bambanti Festival is about thanksgiving for a bountiful harvest marked by the use of larger-than-life-size scarecrows. The festival is celebrated every January. It is the biggest and most attended festival in the region;
2. Grand Winner for Best Event Hosting – City of Ilagan, Province of Isabela for the Search for Event Hosting under the local/international category. The event hosted was for Batang Pinoy 2019 event ;
3. Grand Champion for Best Tourism Promotion Video for Ilagan City Tourism AVP under the City Category. The video features the ILAGAN Sanctuary, Japanese Tunnel, DOT accredited farm sites, tourism and investment opportunities, among others;
4. Grand Winner for Best Tourism Event for Balamban Festival under Nature Worship or Myths and Legends Category for the Independent Component City of Santiago. Balamban Festival Dance Troupe was featured by DOT in the 33rd Philippine Travel Mart and Travel Tour Expo, both held this year at the SMX Convention Center, Pasay City;
5. Grand Winner for Best Tourism Oriented Local Government Unit (LGU), Provincial Category for the Province of Quirino. The province stages numerous tourism events yearly, like Motorismo, Paskuhan and Panagdadapun Festival, among others
Department of Tourism Regional Director Fanibeth Domingo said the local government units of Ilagan City, Santiago City, Province of Isabela and the Province of Quirino are most deserving of this accolade and recognition.
Domingo added that local government units in Region 2 are all tourism oriented and are supportive of the initiatives of the Department of Tourism in ensuring that the strategic thrusts of enhancing the overall tourist experience are being carried out through tourism product development and promotion.
The Provinces of Isabela and Quirino are easily accessible through the Cauayan Domestic Airport with the daily flights by Cebu Pacific. The region is also accessible by overland buses from Manila and Clark through Victory Liner and Florida Bus Lines, while DOT-accredited tourism enterprises are also available. Tourists and visitors traveling to Region 2 may download the app funtourism2 for more information on the tourist attractions and services in the region.
Director Domingo congratulates all the local chief executives who submitted their entries in this year’s 17th ATOP-DOT Pearl Awards. #
Source: Department of Tourism, Region 2
October 27, 2022